They claim that the population does not enjoy anchovies because they are buying the wrong kind (the kind that is packed in tins in oil), and that to really enjoy anchovies, you need to buy the right kind. What's the right kind? That's easy: the kind that comes in a glass jar, packed in Spanish or Italian olive oil.
This recipe will entice even the most staunch anchovy-hater you can find...enjoy:
- 10-15 whole cloves peeled garlic
- 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 anchovy filets (more or less, to your liking)
- 10-12 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb. tubular pasta (penne rigate, rigatoni, etc.)
- **Good to have on hand: tomato paste.
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add pasta and boil until al dente (~10 minutes).
2) Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a skillet for 1 minute.
3) Add the garlic cloves, and brown lightly.
4) Add the anchovy filets, and stir until filets have dissolved.
5) Add the red pepper flakes and incorporate into the oil.
6) Reduce heat to low, then add the halved cherry tomatoes, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until pasta is done.
7) If you wish, add 1 T. tomato paste + 1/3 C. pasta water, to make the sauce go further.
When the pasta is al dente, mix with the sauce. The anchovy filets will have dissolved to create a deeply savory flavor for the tomatoes. The garlic cloves will have softened completely, and are fragrant and sweet. I promise, this is going to be a new favorite! Go fish!