Baked Ziti with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30-45 minutes
Serves: At least 8
- 4 links spicy Italian Sausage
- 1 lb. Ziti or Rigatoni (I prefer Rigatoni)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small container part-skim Ricotta cheese
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. mozzarella/provolone shredded cheese blend
- Salt & Pepper
1) Sautee the sausages until browned in a skillet. While the sausage is browning, put a large pot of salted water on to boil, and slice the onion and garlic.
2) When the sausage is done, drain the fat from the pan, but don't clean it. Add the garlic and sliced onion to the same pan, and cook until caramelized, or for about 15 minutes. (You may need to add a touch (1 t.) of olive oil if the onions are sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning before they are caramelized).
3) When the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente. While the pasta is boiling, slice the browned sausages into 1/4 inch slices, and add to the onions and garlic. Continue to cook over medium heat.
4) Combine the ricotta cheese and the crushed tomatoes. Add 1 T. salt.
5) Drain the pasta, and combine with the ricotta tomato sauce, and the sausage and onions. Stir well until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
6) Put this mixture in a 9x13 baking pan, and top with your desired amount of mozzarella/provolone. You can use the whole pound, if you're into that.
7.) Bake, covered, in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. For the last 15 minutes, uncover, and continue to bake at 350.
- A glass of wine
- A big appetite