Wednesday, March 05, 2008

filomena

Filomena
www.filomena.com
1063 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 337-2782

Love was all around last month, which brought me back to Filomena twice in the same month. I am smitten. When I saw the Rubensian "Pasta Mammas" hand-crafting little doughy bits at the top of the stairs ... it was love, at first bite.

Everything is perfection. Not in a really elegant way, but in a really handmade-with-love way. It reminded me of my grandother's dining room - with kitsch and all. It's a truly hospitable place - they don't serve you bottles of wine, de-corked in front of you - instead they serve accessible caraffes of delicious chianti, merlot, what have you. Portions are gargantuan, and meant to be shared.

I really cannot say enough good things about this place - so I'll talk about what I've eaten:

Arancini
Just like in Rome. Fried risotto balls with some sausage and cheese inside? Yes, please!

Antipasto Misto
Paper-thin prosciutto, hand-cured olives, roasted red peppers, and generous chunks of parmigianno and gorgonzola. These flavors transport me right back to Italy.

Insalata di Lattuga
Buttery bibb lettuce and tart endive with the wonderful salt-brined olives and a creamy lemon vinaigrette...Could be a meal in itself, if you wanted...but you'll want more.

For entrees...
Gnocchi alla Mamma
Handmade potato dumplings in a homemade meat sauce...Too good to be true? Not at Filomena!

Cavatelli
Creamy sauce, creamy dumplings. Not for the faint of stomach!

Penne con Salsicce
Homemade sausage with plenty of fennel, and penne cooked al dente.

Somehow I have been able to resist dessert at Filomena both times I went, in spite of their persuasive cheesecakes near the entrance. But it's not over yet - they'll give you a gratis digstif - either a buttery amaretto or a more assertive sambuca con mosca. Con mosca means "with the fly," and it refers to three coffee beans that float on top...one for health, one for luck, and one for love...

Cin cin...

No comments: