Warm Spiced Apples a la Mode
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
- 4 apples
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 C. light brown sugar
- Juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 3 T. butter
- 3 T. dark rum
- Pint of Ice Cream (dulce de leche, creme brulee, or a good vanilla bean)
1) Juice 1/2 lemon into a bowl, and combine with sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
2) Core the apples, and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Toss well in sugar mixture. (You can peel the apples, but I didn't, and they turned out great!)
3) Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, and add the apples.
4) Cook the apples for 5-6 minutes, until soft, then carefully add the rum.
5) Cook 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Turn off heat, and let the apples cool for 10 minutes.
6) Scoop ice cream into 4 bowls, and top with the warm spiced apples. If you like, add some crumbled granola.
Enjoy with company or alone, and be sure to take all the credit for this brilliant, delicious, and simple dessert.