Friday, April 04, 2008

rant: sandra lee


Anthony Bourdain, on Sandra Lee: "Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time."

Hard to disagree with him. I get it. There are a lot of women (and men!) in America who would just as soon not do much work and really impress their friends with what they cook. That is something that appeals to me immensely. Sandra Lee purports to embody this ideal - in so doing, she becomes a complete abomination of carefree cooking and effortless entertaining. You want effortless entertaining? Open a box of crackers, a package of cheddar, slice an apple, and pour a bottle of your favorite wine. Sandra lee would have you pouring seasoning packets, going to your craft store to arrange your "tablescape" (the word alone makes me twitchy), mixing crafty "cocktails" (I don't know anyone who would touch one of these potent potions with a ten foot pole, but that's another post altogether).

As I write this, her voice is blaring over my left shoulder in a saccharine voice saying, "Welcome back, today is all about really cute cakes that are super simple." You've all been in a situation where you're at dinner, or an event, or even at the bar and there's that one person who just doesn't shut up about how great they are? That's her. Sticking a blue maraschino cherry on top of a cupcake on top of a cake? It's frustrating to me that she is still able to maintain her half-hour spot on the Food Network every day. Admittedly, The Food Network exists because of, and is patronized primarily by, people who have too much time on their hands-but shouldn't those people be treated to watching someone who loves what they do, and who they do it for?
For me - loving food starts with loving people. I'm not convinced she loves either.

...There, I said it.

1 comment:

shelby said...

If you don't already tivo Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" on the travel channel you really should. He's gonna be my husband #3 and when that happens you and he can rag on miss sandra lee allll day long.