Thursday, June 19, 2008

so cal tables




I'm guilty of not really liking L.A. I'm guilty of thinking it was a cesspool for bloated egos and powertrips (wait, maybe I'm thinking of D.C.). Regardless, the scales fell from my eyes on my last trip out there for brother Mike's graduation from USC film. Congrats, Mike! (You can see the award-winning film he produced here and here.) In between graduating and managing our entire family, he chose some fantastic tables to share with us while we were there. Throughout my four day trip, we dined high (Geoffrey's) and low (In & Out). Here are my favorites:

Dusty's
3200 W. Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(323) 906-1018

We enjoyed a fantastic brunch here one morning. Don't let the name or the Mickey Rourke posters on the wall deter you from their fabulous and extensive menu. The generous portions and the paper-placemat-menu make this place an instant favorite. I enjoyed a croque madame for brunch - this giant, ham-and-cheese-filled sandwich arrived to me with an abundance of fresh organic greens. I loved it! I'm not one to advocate dieting - so I figure that if you eat a giant sandwich with ham and cheese and bechamel, you should eat a salad of equal size to balance things out. Dusty's agrees with this. Go, bring your friends, and spend a morning in what will be your new favorite place.

The Alcove
http://www.alcovecafe.com/
1929 Hillhurst Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 414-0100
Another wonderful spot for brunch, this organic coffee and tea house doubles as a gourmet wine and cheese shop. Hand-painted tables await you and your friends on a sunny brick patio in front of the cafe. You pay before you eat (and order at the counter inside), but efficient waiters and waitresses will bring you your omelettes and crepes and take your plates away when you're done, making this an ideal spot to either dine and dash, or hang out for hours without having waiters trying to shoo you out the gate. I ordered an omelette with onions and swiss cheese - you can get nearly any combination of fillers your heart desires. My omelette came with two hefty slices of freshly baked wheat toast. And, if you've got a sweet tooth, you won't believe their crepes! Smartly presented folding in quarters on a long slim plate, these crepes were more than an eyeful. Filled with nutella, banana reduction, and mixed berries, everyone was eager for a forkful! Everyone at our table enjoyed their house mimosas - each comes with a personal split of bubbly with a pitcher of fresh-squeezed orange juice. An elegant yet relaxed way to begin any day!

Geoffrey's
27400 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 90265
(310) 457-1519

The perfect place to spend an evening dining out. Geoffrey's is situated atop a cliff, overlooking the Pacific. You're sure to catch glimpses of the rising moon, and maybe, if you're lucky, a couple of stars. (How apropos - we saw an actor who was in the originial 90210.) We started out with a panoply of appetizers, including their deliciously gooey baked brie. For dinner, I moved on to the most wonderful seared scallops I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. Each of the five day boat scallops was perfectly golden brown on each side - served with a rich, salty fois gras risotto and a bright pomegranite reduction. Sadly, (and probably because I was so late in getting there!) they had run out of the kobe beef filets that night, but judging from the high quality of the rest of their menu, I'm sure it would be delicious. The atmosphere at Geoffrey's was full of rich laughter, the open fire pits around the seating area made the whole experience warm and wonderful. I can't wait to go back.

La Valencia Hotel
1132 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037

A road trip to visit my favorite friends from Rome brought us to San Diego. Though I didn't enjoy any meals or stays at this picturesque spot, it was the perfect place for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up at La Jolla beach. Located on busy Prospect street, and overlooking the extra blue Pacific, you can't go wrong ordering a coffee, a beer, or a cocktail on their patio. Thanks for showing it to me, VT!


Lastly, but most definitely not least, my beloved:

In-n-Out Burger

No road trip in California would be complete without a stop to In-n-Out. My favorite thing is a grilled cheese, animal style, with animal style fries to split. I could (and shh, have) eaten this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Ben's favorite is a double double, of course. The best part, aside from the prices, is that everything is made in a spotless kitchen, right in front of you, when you order it. Nothing frozen. Amazing. Delicious!


No comments: