Thursday, April 16, 2009

i could cry


Today, I went shopping at Safeway, planning to buy groceries for dinner (herb grilled chicken, Israeli couscous, and zucchini)...I showed up and ... the place was nearly empty. Shelves, vacant. Freezer section, empty. It was as if I had walked into ...Soviet Safeway. But what of my beloved Social Safeway! What of the Georgetown students, the wealthy older women, the erstwhile eye candy?

As I checked out, here's what I learned...
Me: So, what's with the empty shelves?
She: Um, the store is closing.
Me: WHAT?! FOREVER!?
She: For like a year. They're renovating.
Me: [Speechless, tears coming.]

OK. So, Social Safeway is closing for a year (and despite living a mere two blocks away and shopping there almost every single day, I may be the last person to know this). This is incredibly lame. Where will I buy thin cut chicken breasts? Quaker oatmeal? COFFEE MATE!? I may not survive.

Photo: That sign cracked me up. For days. Not only because of the obvious "Jan. 23th! ONLY!" but also the meatloaf. Also, if you look closely - it was posted above some sort of artificially colored gelatin-esque substances and mayonnaise-based foods. How apros pos...

Anyway. Here's what's happening: www.socialsafeway.com. Oh, and you best believe I signed up for the mailing list/updates. If you need me, I'll be quietly crying in the corner, near our empty fridge...

No comments: