Wednesday, April 01, 2009

spring cleaning


About this time every year, I start to feel all the macaroni and cheese, meat sauce, and other starch-and-fat-laden foods that have kept me warm and fat and happy all winter. I always try to eat in moderation (Eat a twinkie? Eat a carrot too), I like to get a jump start on my health with the beginning of the season. With great pleasure, I present to you my favorite detox diet (with great thanks to my great friend, CC and her mom whose health and vitality I envy!):

Detox Diet
Day 1: Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, Vegetable Juice
Day 2: Vegetables, Vegetable Juice
Day 3: Vegetable Juice
Day 4: Vegetables, Vegetable Juice
Day 5: Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, Vegetable Juice


It's short, it's straightforward, and it's quite easy to stick by. The goal isn't to be on a restrictive, low-calorie diet - the goal is to eliminate things that are hard for your body to digest (i.e. starch, dairy, meat). Since you'll be eating so much fresh produce, your body will still get plenty of nutrients, so it doesn't leave you particularly tired or low-energy. I will typically have a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine at night, because if I didn't, I'd go nuts.

Here's a sample menu:

Day 1: Vegetables, Fruit, Whole Grains
Breakfast: Oatmeal/Cereal, Coffee
Lunch: Salad with whole grain crackers, olive oil
Snacks: Apples
Dinner: Whole wheat pasta arrabiata, & salad

Day 2: Vegetables & Vegetable Juice
Breakfast: Vegetable Juice & Coffee (or, sliced tomato with salt & olive oil)
Lunch: Big salad w/ Vegetable Juice
Dinner: Roasted tuscan cauliflower, sliced tomatoes

Day 3: Vegetable juice
V-8

Day 4: Vegetables & Vegetable juice
Breakfast: Tomato, Vegetable Juice, Coffee
Lunch: Big salad w/ vegetable juice
Dinner: Eggplant arrabiata, salad

Day 5: Vegetables, Fruit, Whole Grains
Breakfast: Oatmeal, Coffee
Lunch: Salad with whole grain crackers or veggie sub on whole wheat bread
Snacks: Apples
Dinner: Whole wheat pasta primavera, salad

Remember, don't go on any diets unless you're in good physical shape. Check with your doctor if you have questions. And...good luck!

1 comment:

Dragon said...

This diet doesn't look all that bad. Yummy, actually. I'm glad you didn't give up the wine. :)