Wednesday, April 21, 2010

tortellini soup


It's going to be raining in Washington, D.C. for the next six days. I've had a cold for the past seven. This whole thing is really not looking up for me -- but I tell you what I just did over my lunch hour: I made really awesome tortellini soup. That's right, in 1 hour, I went to the store, got the ingredients (all five), went home, and in a half an hour, I was enjoying a piping hot bowl of soup. Now I feel invincible. Try it:

Tortellini Soup
Serves: 6
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins

You'll need:
  • 1 package cheese tortellini (I used about half of a "family sized" Buitoni package)
  • 1 box organic chicken stock
  • 1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
  • 8 oz. baby spinach (pre-washed if possible)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 T. olive oil for sauteeing

Optional:
-Red pepper flakes, salt for seasoning
-Parmesan for sprinkling on top
-Basil for sprinkling on top

Easy easy directions:
Chop the onion, chop the garlic. Heat 1 T. olive oil over medium heat, sautee until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the chicken stock, and the tomatoes (with juices). Let them come to a simmer. Add spinach, and finally, add the tortellini. Simmer for 8 minutes with lid half-on, add water to pot if too thick. Check seasonings, adjust, and serve.

No comments: